With support from the NSF’s Pathways to Enable Open-Source Ecosystems (POSE) program this project will develop a plan to strengthen CKAN so that the software can continue to provide an effective platform for open data, open government, and open science initiatives.
In order to achieve this - the project team will work with CKAN stewards to explore several issues through this project, including:
- Adequately supporting and managing product maintenance;
- Integrating innovations developed by members of the ecosystem with the core product;
- Maintaining relevance with changes to the transparency and open data landscape; and
- Ensuring that user needs are integrated with product development road maps.
For the next year, the team will engage members of the ecosystem in a series of activities, which will include:
- Documenting CKAN processes and workflows;
- Visualizing participants in the CKAN ecosystem;
- Researching other open-source ecosystems;
- Engaging members of the CKAN ecosystem in interviews and virtual workshops; and
- Connecting with current and potential users in external communities of practice.